Thursday, April 1, 2010

Otr.com

I know this is long over due, but it has been really hard for me to keep up with this blog. Nonetheless, i am trying to cover all of the topics that we are supposed to cover. Having clarified that, to the subject...A couple of weeks ago, when we were studying the old radio days, Santi showed us a pretty amazing website: otr.com. I took the time to browse, and could seriously not believe all the radio shows that are there! What really amazed me the most is that some of this shows have the option to be downloaded in mp3 format! Incredible what technology can do, and how it can help save memories from the past...like the shows from the 50's or 60's.
Going through this page made me realize how radio was such a transcendental invention. Radio not only made the world smaller, it also broke the 4th wall and provided a new activity for families and individuals to entertain. I really like radio because it makes my mind work, it gives the sound, the voices, the details, but is up to the listener to imagine how things look like and how stories develop. Back home in Guatemala, there are still some radios in which "novelas" are still on air. As a matter of fact, my grandmother had a very successful show in one of the first radio stations in Guatemala. I would love to listen to it, but that was back in the 60's and we do no have sites like 0tr.com (unfortunately) to keep up an inventory of the programs that made history back in the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment