Thursday, April 1, 2010

Grid Art Project!


When Santiago mentioned that we needed to create a grid art project, my mind started spinning with a million ideas. The only problem is that most of them were impossible and definitely not realistic. That day when i got to my house, exhausted after a very long day, i decided to take a minute to breathe deeply and look around my apartment. Being a stubborn perfectionist i realized i needed to vacuum the carpet and clean the table. All of a sudden as i was looking at my table, i saw the cloths my mom brought us from Guatemala. They are not only beautiful, but they also remind me of home. They are so colorful and complex; suddenly it stroke me: they are the perfect examples of grid art. I knew i had to attempt to do something similar to it. I went the next day to get all my materials, intending of course to make a purse, but my loop was too small and i ended up making coasters. Of course they were not as neat and beautiful as the typical textiles in my country, but i had a lot of fun and put an immense effort in doing them. The whole process was beautiful and fruitful. It made me appreciate more my culture and my background. I hope you guys liked it! :)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you had so much thought behind this project and how you explained your culture and brought in the magazine that showed some of the similar works you were inspired from. These came out very beautiful! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. god you are adorable! youre like the living Hello Kitty (with a latina twist). i love how in your project you cut out a space for your head/mirror. I LOVED how you incorporated your Mayan background with the mirror too. awesome job and on the side note I think you and i should rule the world, there would be no more hungry children and peace would be everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how you made your grid art a functional piece. It not only looks really cool but they can be used as coasters or pot holders or whatever else. It looks like it took a lot of patience to make them and they came out great!

    ReplyDelete